Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cooking the Cow: What We Got

Hello, my cow-co-consiprators. I'm hoping a series of posts will help you cook through your quarters. And help me with next year's cut sheet.

This year, I asked for more steaks and easier-to-cook-on-the-fly stuff. And wow, we got them!

I do wish we had gotten a crossrib roast, although I do love all the short ribs. I'm also missing the sirloin tip roast, which we usually use to make sauerbraten (thinking rump for this now).

I like a little more ground and stew for winter crock pots.

And no skirt steak.

But I'm getting better at figuring out what to ask for and what I like. I specifically requested short ribs, tri tip, and flatiron steaks.

Next year will be a bit different.

This is what we got this year:

One cow, 536 pounds hanging weight. 100% grass fed, dry aged 4-6 weeks. From Megan Brown.
  • 89# ground beef
  • 12 packages soup bones
  • 4 bags dog bones
  • 10 1# stew meat
  • 10 packages short ribs
  • 1 little hanger steak (there is only one per cow—Wolf and I took it as an organizers' bonus)
  • 2 tri tip
  • 4 flat iron steaks
  • 1 flank steak
  • 2 briskets
  • 9 top sirloin steaks
  • 12 sirloin tip steaks
  • 12 T-bone steaks
  • 11 rib steaks
  • 6 filet steaks
  • 17 top round steak
  • 11 bottom round steak
  • 10 chuck roast
  • 6 arm roast
  • 4 rump roast
A couple notes:
  • Ground beef is in 1# packages. 
  • Roasts are 3 to 4 pounds.
  • Some steaks (like T-bone and rib) are what you think of when you hear "steak." They are packaged in twos. Perfect for a steakhouse kind of meal.
  • Other steaks are chunks of meat (round steak) are better thinly sliced against the grain after cooking.
  • Where are the porterhouse steaks? They are labeled "T-bone." According to the Locker, you should be able to see the difference in your T-bones. But who knows who got what?
Let me know if you need help with anything. I'm no expert, but I do love to research.

No comments: